Re: 351C installation & compare with 347 Stroker 302

To: comorgan@juno.com
Subject: Re: 351C installation & compare with 347 Stroker 302
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 17:12:56 -0500
At 09:03 PM 3/22/99 -0700, you wrote:
>I appreciate your response, but in reading the answer to my question
>about the 351-C installation, I'm sorry I asked.(ha).  I was going to ask
>if a 400 would fit as well; but, I'll hold this question for a few
>months.  I was also going to ask why all this is necessary to install a
>block that's only 1 1/2'" wider, 1 1/2" higher and the same length (see
>Daniels specs in his response)?  ie, move the firewall 6 - 8" and an 8"
>wider radiator?  But, I'm afraid of the answer.  The stroker 347 is
>looking better all the time.  Thanks to Bob and Daniel for their
>response.
>
>Cliff
>
>Cliff Morgan, Ph.D.
>COMORGAN@JUNO.COM

Cliff,
        I moved the frame and fenderwells to allow plenty of
space around the headers and spark plugs.  The 351C 4 barrel
headers are a lot bigger than the 260/302 headers.  I of course
had to build them my self.  The tubes are 1 5/8".  Even at that
I had to streach the tubes to mate with the exhaust ports.
The tubes are arranged as a flat-4 at the collector, similar
to NASCAR setup to allow more ground clearance.  As far as the
firewall is conserned, I like to be able to take the valve
covers or heads off without problems.  This also allowed me
to fabricate a mechnical linkage for the clutch instead of
the hydraulic setup.  The wider radiator is obviously to cool
the bigger motor.  It runs a lot cooler in traffic than the
original 289 did. The extra space around the motor may help
this a bit due to airflow considerations under the hood.
        As to installing a 400 block in place of the 351C.
the only problem is the steering column.  I could no longer
use the Tiger Column.  I would have to replace the column with
a 1/2" to 3/5" dia. shaft.  Otherwise the valve covers would
 hit the steering column.  A taller hood scoop would also be
in order.  My scoop (reverse) is about 2" above the hood.
I have a fairly high intake, a 650 double pumper and a 3"
tall filter mounted in the original air cleaner.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others