Re: 351C installation & compare with 347 Stroker 302 -Reply

To: Daniel Jones <djones2@mdc.com>
Subject: Re: 351C installation & compare with 347 Stroker 302 -Reply
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 23:07:18 -0500
At 02:09 PM 3/29/99 -0600, you wrote:
>>        The cam is a Crane 524421 HIT-280-2-NC
>>280 duration on intake, 288 on exhaust. Intake lift .506
>>Ex lift .519. Recommended for 2500 to 5500 Rpm.  I also
>>have Harland Sharp roller rockers and the Crane Hi-Intensity
>>lifters ( the leaky ones that make noise).

The reason for the Crane lifters is to decrease the lift
at low RPM and provide more torque ( or so they advertize).

>That grind's low on lift for the duration.  The 4V heads really
>like more lift.  The 2V''s have less ultimate flow but get the
>flow at lower lifts.

Maby so.

>>The power valve
>>is what ever came stock in the Holly 650 double pumper.
>
>My books show a 6.5" power valve.  As light as the Tiger
>is, I bet you never crack it open.  Check idle and cruise
>vacuum with a guage.  The power valve should be 1 to 2
>points below.  Then you can lean out the jets to compensate.

        I get 15 inches or better at idle.  For a long
time I had a vacuum gauge mounted directly to the intake manifold.
Good trouble shooting aid.

>>I am also running flat topped pistons to be able to run
>>on the crappy 93 octane gass in Florida.
>
>Don't remember if you have open or closed chamber
>heads but the closed can handle 11:1 on 93 octane.
>Opens are okay to 10:1 using TRW or KB domed
>pistons.

        I have the closed chambers,  Maby if I build up my
other 351C  that is under the bench, I might go to higher
compression.  I previously used 351W heads, open chamber
and milled a lot, plus pop up pistons to give a true 10.5
compression on the original Tiger 289.  It lived with the
available gas OK.

>>Previously I had the Ford SVO cam in the 351C and I
>>believe it provided more power than the Crane, however,
>>after 15,000 miles it wiped a cam lobe and lifter.  That
>>really pissed me off and I didn't go back to Ford.  Ford
>>guarentees their SVO parts until you walk out the door.
>
>That's a shame.  I had good luck with Lunati when I snapped
>the head off an exhaust valve and grenaded my first 351C
>in the '66 Mustang.  The cam was damaged by the debris
>but Lunati replaced it at cost.  However, Lunati doesn't
>have much in the way of selection for the 351C.  On the
>Pantera, I went with a Cam Research cam.  They grind
>custom cams for Fords only and the cost is quite
>reasonable.

I liked the grind on the SVO Cam.

>Are you running stock valves in the 4V heads?  You do
>know they are two piece and have a nasty reptation for
>separating and/or pulling out of the multi-groove keepers?
>
 >Dan Jones

       Did not know they are two piece,  My only problem
with the valves is that I lost an exhaust valve seat probably
due to the lack of lead in the gas.  Need to have that set
of heads rebuilt with hardened valve seat inserts.
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others