Re: 351C

To: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 351C
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 16:58:57 -0800
Jim,

You may have given this information in an earlier post, but you need to
also multiply the number of wheel revolutions by the rear end gear ratio to
get the number of drive shaft revolutions. Let's say you have 3.54 gears,
then 111x3.54/2 = 196.47. Now, if the driving gear makes one revolution per
revolution of the drive shaft, then I think its teeth would have to be
55/196.47 = 0.2799 as many as the driven gear, or 6.16. Now, it doesn't
make sense to have any answer other than integers, the right angle drive
notwithstanding. However, there may be some leeway for measurement error. I
won't go through all the possible rear end ratios to see which one gives
closest to an integer value; hopefully your actual ratio will make more
sense than the 6.16 answer. Also, I have no idea whether the gear in the
tranny turns at one turn per drive shaft rotation; do you or anyone else
know the answer?

I could go through the math, but it seems that if you took the known
original setup, wheel diameter (actually rolling radius), odometer calib
(1020 rev/mi), and if you knew the number of teeth originally on the driven
gear at the end of the cable, then you could figure out the number of
teeth, or at least the equivalent number of teeth on the driving gear in
the tranny. Maybe if I'm feeling ambitious later I'll see how this works
out in my case. But, as we often say in academia, "This problem is left as
an exercise for the student."

TTFN,

Bob

At 06:05 PM 3/25/99 -0500, James Barrett wrote:
>Folks,

snip, snip, snip . . .

>        Had a terrible time today with math.  Brain dead
>I guess. The question is how many teeth are on the transmission
>tail shaft for the speedometer cable take off.  The number of
>teeth on the driven gear is 22.  Given one locked wheel
>and the 111 to 55 turns, can someone figure this out for me?
>I came up with 40 different answers from fractional to over 200
>teeth, like I said, brain dead!  Also is it possible to
>have a non integer number of teeth on the driven gear, considering
>that the driven gear shaft is at right angles to the drive
>gear?
>
>James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com