RE: 351C

To: "'Bob Palmer'" <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>,
Subject: RE: 351C
From: Theo Smit <TSmit@novatel.ca>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 14:41:48 -0700
Bob, and Listers,

The helical drive gear looks impressive but it doesn't have that many teeth.
Working the numbers that Jim gave (on wheel turns vs. speedo cable turns,
knowing the rear axle ratio), gives a number like 7.57. We know it has to be an
integer number, but I'm not going be the one to suggest that either Jim or his
wife counted incorrectly :). Based on your own math it could be as high as 9.
Jim has a transmission sitting in the garage (on the scale still?). You may be
able to look past the output shaft seal to see the speedo drive gear; shine a
trouble light in through the speedo drive hole to illuminate it. Otherwise,
clean the grease or oil off of it by spraying carb or brake cleaner onto it
(through the speedo drive hole) and dry it. Then turn the output shaft, counting
and marking each tooth with a magic marker as they come by. I'm guessing it will
be 7, 8, or 9 teeth.

Theo Smit
tsmit@novatel.ca
B382002705