Re: Girling Hydraulics

To: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Subject: Re: Girling Hydraulics
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 11:02:19 -0700
Roland Dudley wrote:

> Steve,
>
> I can't speak for the servo rebuild, but you might want to do some
> research regarding re-sleeving of master cylinders with stainless.
> I've heard, but not personally verified the following:
>
> 1. That silicone brake fluid will seep past a stainless sleeve/cylinder
>    interface.
>
> 2. That stainless sleeves must be interference fit into the master
>    cylinder and that the aluminum they are made of is not strong enough
>    for this purpose.  Another possible issue is the different thermal
>    expansion rates for stainless and aluminum.
>
> Roland

A good thought, Roland.  Although the original user of one firm seems to
have had no problem.  Besides, not sure about the synthetic in the brakes
yet.  Using it in the clutch to see what happens.  Easier to replace.

Most sleevers use brass, which has an even higher thermal expansion, but
probably not as high as the aluminum, so maybe it keeps outer contact
better.  These are made with a friction/press fit, so some expansion still
leaves compression between the sleeves and the cylinder.

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                         _/
                    _/_/_/