Re: Girling Hydraulics

To: laifman@flash.net (Steve Laifman)
Subject: Re: Girling Hydraulics
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 12:47:52 -0700 (PDT)
> > I can't speak for the servo rebuild, but you might want to do some
> > research regarding re-sleeving of master cylinders with stainless.
> > I've heard, but not personally verified the following:
> >
> > 1. That silicone brake fluid will seep past a stainless sleeve/cylinder
> >    interface.
> >
> > 2. That stainless sleeves must be interference fit into the master
> >    cylinder and that the aluminum they are made of is not strong enough
> >    for this purpose.  Another possible issue is the different thermal
> >    expansion rates for stainless and aluminum.
> >
> > Roland
>

> A good thought, Roland.  Although the original user of one firm seems to
> have had no problem.  Besides, not sure about the synthetic in the brakes
> yet.  Using it in the clutch to see what happens.  Easier to replace.

When I kinda looked into this a few years back, one person told me that
he had problems with seeping silicone fluid even in his brass
re-sleeved MC.  Others told me that hadn't experienced this problem.

> Most sleevers use brass, which has an even higher thermal expansion, but
> probably not as high as the aluminum, so maybe it keeps outer contact
> better.  These are made with a friction/press fit, so some expansion still
> leaves compression between the sleeves and the cylinder.

Apparently this isn't universal.  One West Coast outfit that does brass
re-sleeving bonds them in, or claims to.

For individual cylinders it's worth shopping around for a good price on
a new ones before going the re-sleeve route, IMO.  When I re-did my
hydraulics I found a place selling brand new Girling master cylinders
for $60 ea.  I needed three- two brake and one clutch.  At that time
White Post was charging something like $50/cylinder for re-sleeving.
Since the re-sleeving didn't include new seals, it was actually cheaper
for me to buy new master cylinders.  A new clutch slave was a bit more
at $80, but still pretty close to a wash with the rebuild kit added to
the re-sleeve.

Roland