Re: Ignition timing

To: larry rominger <larrydr1@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Ignition timing
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 18:43:19 -0400
At 08:32 PM 5/10/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I have seen various posts ...
>relative to proper ignition timing and dwell setting for my Tiger. I
... I have tried each
>of those settings and many combinations in between with marginal
>results. The engine still delivers only mediocre performance.

>I would appreciate any suggestions, comments, anecdotes, etc. regarding
>the proper initial timing and dwell setting comination for this setup.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Larry Rominger
>B9473280

Larry,
        Sounds like the problem is not ignition timing.
Try the following:

1.      Examine the exhaust pipes and tailpipes/muffler for smashed
restriction.
2.      Compression check.
3.      Pull the head and remove the carbon buildup on the back of the
intake valves. Do a valve job at the same time.  On my original 289
I found that the intake port was almost blocked by the carbon on
the rear of the intake valves.  Like solid carbon for an inch
above the back of the valve and the diameter of the valve. OEM
valve stem seals (and valve guides) do not last 30 years.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others