Re: Ignition timing

To: larry rominger <larrydr1@earthlink.net>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ignition timing
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 08:36:17 -0700
Larry,

What Theo said, 34 degrees BTDC @ 2500 rpm, is going to be very close to
ideal, although +/- a couple of degrees depending on your exact setup.
Since Your dual point is probably set up for 20 degrees of mechanical
advance, this would mean you should start with 14 degrees initial advance
(at slow idle). My experience is the motor will run pretty sluggish with 8
degrees initial advance, especially if you only have 20 degrees of
mechanical advance.

Like Theo, I also have an electronic ignition so I don't dwell on dwell
either. However, I believe the dwell for a dual point distributor should be
more(or is it less?) than for a single point type which I presume is what
the numbers you quote pertain to. You might try simply setting the point
gaps to 0.016-0.018" and call it good. I think the consequences of having
the dwell wrong are rather mild. Probably the effects are most noticeable
at idle (one extreme) or missing at very high rpm (the other extreme).

Hope this information helps. If not, maybe the timing is a red herring and
you need to look elsewhere for the solution.

TTFN,

Bob

At 08:32 PM 5/10/99 -0500, larry rominger wrote:
>Hey listers,

snip, snip, snip, . . .

>I would appreciate any suggestions, comments, anecdotes, etc. regarding
>the proper initial timing and dwell setting comination for this setup.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Larry Rominger
>B9473280

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com