Re: My carb - the "overrich" and unadjustable

To: DJoh797014@aol.com, roland.flueeler@cantrade.ch
Subject: Re: My carb - the "overrich" and unadjustable
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 19:25:32 -0700
Roland, Dave,

It certainly could be a problem with the float, but if this were the case,
then gas should start running out with just the fuel pump running. It
didn't sound like this was happening, but it would be a good idea to look
carefully down the throats, etc. with just the fuel pump on. We sure
wouldn't Roland to burn his new beauty up, now would we!!

BTW, Dave, I'm sure you meant to say "screw it out", not "screw it back in"
to richen it some more. This is a good idea to avoid having the motor stall
when you're just getting under way. But I doubt that having the idle too
lean could cause a burned valve. I would think that is only a problem at
higher throttle/power conditions. But then, maybe your motor idles a lot
faster than mine does. ;-)

TTFN,

Bob

At 09:51 PM 5/25/99 -0400, DJoh797014@aol.com wrote:
>         Roland
>
>just a guess, but sounds like a float thats
>   (1) misadjusted.  Your kit should have a small
>        cardboard guage to adjust the float.
>   (2) bad needle or needle valve seat.  Its
>        attached to the float and causes the gas
>        to shut off when the bowl is full.
>   (3)  Bad float.  The brass floats can develop
>        a pin hole leak cusing the float to sink
>        making the needle valve call for more gas.
>
>As to the idle mixture screws, run both all the way in and
>then back out about 1 to 1 1/2 turns.  The mixtures screws
>are best adjusted with a vacuum guage.  I adjust mine to
>get max rpm and then richen it a bit by screwing it back
>in a bit.  I would rather run rich and waste gas than run
>lean and burn a valve.
>
>Good Luck.
>
>Dave Johnson, Chicago.

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com