Re: Shimy and shake

To: timinvan@fox.nstn.ca, cobmeister@zianet.com
Subject: Re: Shimy and shake
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 11:56:32 EDT
I also shake.  I mounted new tires and rims, had a balance and still shook at
about 65 and up.  Had the shop rebalance the wheels for me again this year
and things are very much better.  Apparently the first balance was a hurry up
job.  I marked the spots of the old weights to be sure that I did get a new
balance and the new weights were added and in different spots on the rim.
It's a lot better now.

I still get some shaking at 65 +  when hitting a rough spot in the road in a
sweeping curve.  I had this problem on my Jeep pickup and it was a worn
steering stabilizer.  That part looks like a shock absorber and dampens the
side-to-side action of the steering.

I have about 3/4" play at the outer rim of my steering wheel. All the
components through the steering column are tight.  The play is definitely in
the rack (all the front end is rebuilt).  Is it possible that there is too
much wear in the rack when I'm getting 3/4" play at the steering wheel?  And
could this be causing the synptom  that I've described.

Any help appreciated.    Mark L.