Spark Advance

To: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>, "Tiger's Den" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spark Advance
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 11:53:18 -0700
Steve, Tim, et Listers,

I thought I was pretty clear in the previous postings in this regard, but
if not, let me say again that TDC has been checked versus piston position,
and the timing tape is the CORRECT tape and, finally, the new timing light
with the knob you adjust for alignment at TDC confirms all the previous
measurements I have made over the past 12 years I've been running this
engine (which includes one major overhaul).

So, the best way I can see to find the optimum advance it terms of max
output is to find someone with an accelerometer that would be willing to
let me use it to check acceleration versus timing advance. Anyone in the
San Diego area, Riverside, Orange County, etc. have, or know of anyone who
has one I could use? Failing this, I'll use a stop watch and check my times
between two rpm readings; say between 6,000 - 7,000 rpm. Any volunteers to
do the stop watch times for me? Also, I may call the local dyno places and
talk with people there and see if anyone has seen any engines that run best
with 45 degrees of advance. Anyone else on the List ever seen this phenomenon?

I love a mystery,

Bob