Thermostats and operating Point

To: "'Tigers'" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Thermostats and operating Point
From: Bennett Cullen-P21988 <Cullen.Bennett@motorola.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 08:43:18 -0700
Bob,
> reading about ten degrees too high. Most thermostats seem to control the
> temperature at pretty close to the set point . . . provided, of course,
the
> cooling system is not a limitation.

My observations and measurements tend to differ a little. I conducted an
experiment on about 5 different thermostats (all at different "operating"
points). This was done on the kitchen stove in a pan of water using a
calibrated thermocouple to measure the stirred water temperature. What I
found was that ALL of the units just started opening at the "rated operating
point" and required an additional 15 degrees (F) to come to a fully open
position. The physical position was somewhat linear between these
temperatures. The "system" overall operating should be somewhere within this
region (providing there is no other limitation).

Cullen Bennett
Tempe, Arizona USA