inquiry 071699b

To: "National Corporation (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: inquiry 071699b
From: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 15:49:54 -0400
        I was just loaned a copy of the August issue of British
 Car; the one with the comparison article on the Tiger II, the
 Triumph TR-6, and the Austin-Healey 3000.
        I have to admit, I find some of the specifications on
 page 36 a bit hard to believe. The Tiger is listed as the
 longest car of the three by half a foot, at 165 inches.
 Looking at these cars in real life, and as well as the
 photos, it just seems incredible. Both of the other cars have
 straight sixes and a very long hood, and the Healey is a
 four-seater as well. How did the Tiger end up longer? Was it
 towing a trailer and they included it in the length? By
 brother-in-law has a TR-6, perhaps I'll ask him to measure
 it. In addition they state that the TR-6's wheelbase is only
 two inches longer than the Tiger's 86 inches. Well, my
 experiences are (very) subjective, for sure, but by looking
 at them plus the difference in ride suggests otherwise. It's
 possible, I guess -- but a car six inches shorter than a
 Tiger with only a 2" longer wheelbase PLUS much taller tires
 means little space indeed between the front and rear wheel
 wells and very little overhang. That doesn't sound like a TR-6 to me.
 BTW, on Fri, 19 Feb 1999 James Barrett wrote: Subject: Re:
 inquiry 021699c
>    At 08:42 AM 2/16/99 -0500, you wrote:.
 >>PINEWOOD: Didn't someone on the list a year or so back say
 >>they had some
 >>form of CAD database for a Tiger body, with the car sliced
>> up like a loaf of bread?
>> Lawrence R. Wright
> Lawrence,
>         Yes, I have such a drawing, about 153 layers at 1".
> I sent a note to the Pinewood builders.
> It is in AutoCAD rev 12+
        That rather implies a length somewhat less than 165 inches.
        The article says that the Tiger II is absolutely stock
 except for some aftermarket wheels. The engine bay photo,
 however, shows a LAT-2 style chromed air cleaner and the
 washer bottle where a brake booster would normally be. The
 hoses all look like braided stainless, although that could
 just be decorate covers. So who knows what lurks in the
 engine & suspension. Eh, probably much more stock than most
 Tigers; certainly a nice looking car, regardless.
        AutoWeek this week had an ad for "XK's Unlimited", with
 mention of a free catalog on a full line of Smiths gauges. I
 recall a thread last year where a few of us were interested
 in perhaps adding a few additional gauges to the cars;
 perhaps a few of these might match up OK in appearance enough
 to use. Web address: http://xks.com/index.html  . Hey, the
 catalog is free.

Lawrence R. Wright
Purchasing Analyst