Re: Tools & Fans

To: rflynn <rflynn@dircon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Tools & Fans
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 07:35:13 -0700
rflynn wrote:

> My saturday morning project (after watching cartoons of course) is
> installing one of those mythical 6-bladed FoMoCo fans on mon Tigre.
> Unfortunately, 3500 miles separate me from my usual source of tools
> (Dad), so I need to beg, borrow, & steal to get the job done.  Can
> anyone help answer the following questions so I can get through this
> job with the minimum of false starts:
>
> - What tools will I need (sockets, spanners, etc.)
>
> - Do I *need* to take the radiator shroud off, is that a bad
>   idea, or a good idea?
>
> - To get the new fan off, do I need to take the pully off or
>   can I just unbolt the current fan and put on the new one
>   directly?  (I guess I'm asking if the fan bolts into the
>   pully or bolts through the pulley.)
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> rick

Rick,

To get the 'old' fan blades off, you must:

1) First remove the fan shroud and the radiator.  Remembering, of course, to put
some large piece of corrugated cardboard between the fan and the radiator.  Tape
it on and don't remove it until the new blades are on and the radiator is
mounted
back in the car.

2) VERY IMPORTANT:  Measure the distance between the steering rack and the
closest
blade approach.  Your new fan is larger, and may need to be trimmed to prevent
hitting it.  The diameter change MUST be uniform, or you will unbalance the fan
and have a lot of vibration at certain rpms.  This is a machine shop job, not a
file-it-yourself.  Remember that your engine rocks on the motor mounts under
load
and allow clearance for this.

3) Remove the fan belt by loosening the generator/alternator bolts.

4) Now that you have room to work, a socket set can remove the four bolts that
hold your fan on. Before you throw it away, notice the size of the hole in the
center of the blades.  It is MUCH larger than the new one you just got.  The
hubs
are reversed on the Tiger, form the Ford, to get the fan back from the radiator.
This is a centralizing hole and must be, of course, in the center.  This is a
machine shop operation for your new blades, not a hole saw.

5) While your in the machine shop, having the blades trimmed and the hole made,
make sure that the fan is sound to begin with.  If it is not new, it may have
damage, or hairline cracks in the aluminum blades.  This can take your shroud
thru
your hood, if you loose a blade.  If you are clever, the entire blade need not
be
trimmed, just those areas over the rack center.  Unfortunately, you won't know
where this area is unless you have the hole made, trial mount the blade, and
rotate it to see where the contact area is.

So, what tools did your father have that you needed?  If you are doing this, do
you have an overheating problem?  Are you sure something else doesn't need
fixing?  The fan is nice, but it won't cure system problems, just help out a
good
system.

Good Luck,  These are the things I had to do, so it's the 'verse of experience'.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/