Re: help please

To: "James E. Pickard" <geowiz@www.worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: help please
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 08:21:09 -0700
"James E. Pickard" wrote:

> We're going to pull the transmission and replace the gears with a wide
> ratio set and then restore the rear end to the original 2.88.  The
> question is: can you do this without pulling the engine?  We are
> planning on overhauling the clutch while we are in there.  Again, do you
> have to pull the engine?

>>Jim Pickard
>>B9473298

Jim, I was considering the same 'operation' for a limited slip differential
installation, and keeping the original 2:88 gears.  At first, removing the
entire
rear axle looked like the only way, as the 'spare tire' well was very much in
the
way.  At the very least the axles must be removed.  However, in examining is
further I have concluded that I could 'drop' the rear axle assembly by just
undoing the rear spring hangers and letting the axle (firmly supported) rotate
down along the radius of the front spring eye.  Of course, there is a point
where
your tailpipes prevent further lowering (and make poor supports), so they must
be
removed if enough clearance is not obtained.

Since I am only changing the carrier, I probably don't have to worry about
re-shimming the input for proper mesh, as it is good know, and there would
unlikely be any change with just a carrier change.  In your case, you would
probably have to remove the drive shaft to get at the yoke, seals and shim
stack.

I have NOT done this, so this is only a suggested possibility, not demonstrated
by
me.  Maybe some has tried this?????

On the clutch, you can definitely change the clutch, flywheel, transmission,
bell
housing pieces without removing the engine.  It does require support to the
block.  You do NOT have to drill holes in your firewall.  The upper two tranny
bolts can be removed with a wobbly-extension / socket (NOT A UNIVERSAL JOINT).
The other bolts can be reached normally.  The transmission will  also have to be
disconnected from the bell housing, and a shortened length 'cut-off' combination
wrench or a 'stubby' will do that job.  The Rear transmission motor mount must
also be removed.  Better have some help here, or a very good transmission jack,
as
that thing weighs about 140 lbs.

Steve (1009 cars older than yours)

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/