FPI (fins per inch) question

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: FPI (fins per inch) question
From: "rflynn" <rflynn@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 13:35:33 +0100 (BST)
OK - looks like I misunderstood the whole "fins per inch" concept.
Given the following:
    ----------
      /\  /\
     /  \/  \
    ----------
would that be 4 fins or 2 fins?  I counted it as 2 fins.

The guy at the radiator shop tells me that it is 4 fins.  This is
germane because he is looking at my radiator right now.  In his
opinion my 0-speed overheating problem (runs fine so long as the
car is in constant motion) is at least partially due to the 18(!) fin
count on my 2 row hi-flo radiator.  He recoginsed the core immediately
and said that they are usually used for racing purposes only since
the rely on a large volume of air being forced through the radiator
at speed.  (He also seems to concur with accepted net wisdom that
a 3 or 4 row core with 14 fins is a more appropriate solution.)  He
basically stated that the current 18 fin core is too dense for the
purpose.

Any comments, thoughts, opinons on this?  And is it 4 fins or 2 fins
above?!?!

thanks in advance

rick