Re: Tigers VS Corvette's

To: wickland@poseidontech.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tigers VS Corvette's
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 22:30:13 EDT
wickland@poseidontech.com writes:

<< The original road tests were 8.5 sec. to 60 and about
 16 sec. in the 1/4 if my memory serves. >>

Keep in mind that the original road tests were run on skinny, bias ply tires
and with no traction bars. I'm sure that wheel hop, driver sensitivity and
the need to "pedal" the car to keep wheel spin under control all conspired
against acceleration times.
The same stock 260 Tiger with modern rubber and traction masters is probably
a low 7 second 0-60 car with mid-high 14's in the quarter mile.
Also, no one could agree on top speed. R&T quoted, I think, 125 mph. The
English testers couldn't go faster than something like 118 mph. The English
testers also were consistently a second or so slower in the acceleration
tests...Maybe a little jealousy creeping into their objectivity? Let's face
it, the English press was still doting on the big Healey's and E-types and
were loath to admit that sticking a big American "lump" under the bonnet was
a mod suitable for a "proper" motorcar!
Mike