Re: Valve Covers

To: "Wayne Pierzga" <W_Pierzga@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: Valve Covers
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 17:54:06 -0400
Wayne,
        If it helps, I have Harland Sharp Roller rockers on my
351C with the big aluminum valve covers.  I had to trim the
oil splash shields inside to clear these rockers.  The Winsor
valve covers are much smaller then the Cleveland covers.
I would suggest that a metal spacer (i.e aluminum) with a
gasket above and below the spacer would be more reliable than
a couple of cork gaskets that might be squeezed down later in
life.  A taller aftermarket valve cover may also do the trick.
Un-fortunually I do not have a source for either at the moment.
Taller valve covers, either due to a spacer or just plain taller,
may interfere with the firewall on the driver's side.

At 04:40 PM 8/31/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi:
>
>I am rebuilding the engine in the MkII Tiger. I have installed roller
>rockers. The rockers do not fit under the LAT aluminum valve covers. I have
>seen from another message thread that some folks have taken to carving up
>the inside of the valve covers to make things fit.
>
>I have installed the LAT valve covers on top of two (2) sets of extra thick
>cork valve cover gaskets. I have torqued the valve cover screws down to 4-5
>lbs to ensure all are even and applied gasket sealer between the two sets of
>gaskets. The set up has been sitting for the past 6 weeks awaiting the
>completion of the body - the engine has never been run. This appears to have
>solved the clearance problem and the set up seems to be stable.
>
>Before I run the engine I would appreciate some informed comment on the
>solution I have taken. Should I carve up the inside of the LAT valve covers
>or will the extra-thick gasket trick work reliably?????? Operative word is
>RELIABLY.
>
>Best regards,
>
>Wayne

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others