Re: Door Hinges

To: "Bob, Jerry (LBOB)" <LBOB@chevron.com>
Subject: Re: Door Hinges
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 22:38:23 -0400
At 12:20 PM 10/4/99 -0700, you wrote:
>What is the best way to deal with what appears to be a broken hinge pin.
>The hinge screws are not cooperating as far as removal, they appear to have
>been painted in place at least once before.

Bob,
        First apply PB Blaster.  It is a foul smelling pentitrating
oil that breaks up rust as well.  It is a yellow spray can.  Most
parts stores have it.  Also excellent to use on rusted exhaust
bolts.  If you remove the kick panels you can squirt the threads
of the screws from inside the panel.
        For the hinge screws: I use a section of a large
phillips head screw driver ( that exactly matches the screws).
This is brased into a socket.  I then use an impact wrench
while pressing very firmly on the tool.  Alternative is a
hammer driven "manual impact tool" that holds a large
phillips bit.  This is a 1 1/2"dia by 6" long steel
piece that has an impact driven ratchet function built
in the end.  You place the tool/bit in the screw slot and
hit the end with a hammer.  Just make sure you have the
tool set to remove, not tighten the screws. Works almost
as good as the air driven impact wrench.
        You may have to disconnect the door stop first
to allow the door to open enough to get to all the screws.
        Using a regular big phillips will only cause
the heads of the screws to be hogged out.  Some suggest
adding valve grinding compound to the slot to assist
in keeping the screwdriver in the slot.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others