Re: Originality

To: Matthew P Bouchelle <mbouchel@juno.com>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Originality
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 20:57:08 -0700
At 08:50 PM 10/7/99 -0400, Matthew P Bouchelle wrote:
>Thanks for all the answers regarding originality under the hood.
>
>If I've got it I would say that the fan shroud, generator and bracket
>were semi gloss or satin black.  I'll use the same color as a 65-6
>Mustang's engine compartment.

There were (at least) two different black finishes used, satin and what I
would call a semi-gloss black. For example, the generator per se is satin
black, but the bracket is semi-gloss. Some of these details changed as
production progressed. In Norm's book, he only refers to "black" or "satin
black" and gives no exact definition. But you can be sure that the "black"
finish is not nearly as shiny as that of the body's exterior finish, and
"satin" is even less shiny - almost flat I would say.

>Engine is black on 260s.

Black on most 260s, but blue after about B382000600. There is some thought
that the black engines were from Ford's industrial engine production and
the blue engines were intended for automotive use.

>Also, Mk1 cars could have different colored piping on the seats per the
>list provided and the book of Norman.
>
>Hmmm.  Should I try the blue w/ light blue piping on my Mediterranean
>Blue restoration?  I'll have to see it first.

That's either blue with DARK blue piping, or black with LIGHT blue piping.
Either should have blue carpet too. Same combinations as were available
with Oxford blue.

>Thanks again,
>Matt
>
>In my next installment of questions I'll probably be asking about dashes
>and wood wheel finishes (colors) but first I must collect more info.

Robert L. Palmer
UCSD, Dept. of AMES
619-822-1037 (o)
760-599-9927 (h)