Re: Walnut Dash

To: Chris Mottram <c_mottram@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Walnut Dash
From: Larry Paulick <larry.p@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 17:22:38 -0400
Chris, the original dash is burled walnut, does not have a door on the
cubby hole, does not match the small piece below the steering wheel, and
the plywood backing was of the thin multilayer plywood variety, with the
holes machined out to allow for the gauges, like you described.

I did mine last year, and use a paper backed  veneer from Constantines,
with their veneer glue.  The paper back keep the veneer from cracking
like most Tiger, and their glue does not require clamping like most
veneer glues.  Both are easy to work with.

I use a varnish that was resistance to UV, applied 15 coats, sanding in
between with 400 grit paper.  I also used vinyl letters that have self
adhesive on the back.  This allowed me to put the lettering on straight,
after the 3 coat, and then I sanded carefully over the letters till I
had enough coats to not sand through them.

Look beautiful.