bunch o' questions - sort of a story

To: alpines@autox.team.net, tigers@autox.team.net,
Subject: bunch o' questions - sort of a story
From: "Tim Beloney" <65_s5v6@prontomail.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 14:17:21 -0800
So I brought the new Oxford blue V6 home and the 6 month old battery
is dead.  No problem, we give 'er a jump and she starts right up.
First dumb question:
1.  On the ignition, "off" is in the center, "on" is obviously right,
and left is for "accesories"?

I decided to tool around my street, keeping in mind the car is just a
shell (no interior, windshied, plates, etc.) and the thing has a cool
rumble to it.  Question #2:
2. When I turn sharp I hear a terrible rubbing sound as if the tires
are rubbing, but there is plenty of clearance.  Looks like the edges
of the fan blade has some marks on it - could it be that there is
flex causing the blade to rub against the cross member even though I
don't see marks on it?  What else should I look at?

I pull it in the garage and admire the engine sound when, after
idling for a bit, water and steam goes everywhere and the car dies.
I am beyond emotion standing in a garage of steam.  It turns out the
PVC fitting they used to turn a corner for the water outlet came
apart.  Off to the parts store to get a flexible hose to do what
should have been done in the first place.  As I sit here the car is
idling at about 2200 RPM , assuming the tach works properly, and
after about 20 minutes it overheats and dies.  Water and steam this
time come out of the overflow tube in a more controlled fashion.
Before coming in here the temp gauge, assuming IT works correctly,
was at about 110.  Question # 3:
3.  What sould the temp be at?  Keep in mind there is an automatic
electric fan here which I don't think I saw go on.
4.  Besides taking back to the mechanic, what should I look at to
keep it cool?

If you read this far thanks!  I am frustrated but not down and out.
Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Tim