Overheating

To: "Tiger's Den" <tigers@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Overheating
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 17:56:26 +0000
Tigers and Alps,

Had an experience today with our family car that might help others locate their
own problem source.

The car overheated to boiling last night.  This morning, after it was all cool,
checked the water level and it was down about 2 quarts, maximum.  I drove it
until
the thermostat opened to re-check fluid, and it was still full.  As I kept
driving
in moderate traffic this cool normally running car kept getting hotter.  I
headed
for the agency to let them work it out under warranty, and it was boiling by the
time I drove in.  Total time, 20 minutes.

Looked under the hood and could see little signs of water.

When I picked it up I found that the water pump had been replaced due to a bad
seal.

Now, why didn't the bad shaft seal allow the pressurized water to come pouring
out
the pump shaft?

Well, the mechanic said that a bad pump seal causes air to enter the pump along
the shaft, and the pump ceases pumping water.  Much like cavitation.  In fact,
it
is cavitation.

So, a bad seal doesn't necessarily mean an external leak, but a loss of pumping
efficiency.  I am sure there must be 'degrees' of leak that could cause poor
flow,
and gradual overheating.

Sound like any  you are having?

For what it's worth,

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/