Re: Cold Start Myths

To: Laifman@flash.net
Subject: Re: Cold Start Myths
From: DJoh797014@aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 22:23:50 EST
Having lived (not survived) in Northern Illinois for 25+ years
I disagree with your characterization of Illinois.  I have
never had one of my cars fail to start even at -25 F and I
have never had the luxury of a garage (heated or not).
All you have to do is keep the car in tune and change
the oil in December.  On very cold nights I put a drop
light against the battery and another against the carb.
Never failed to start.  I have to admit that the sound an
engine makes when first starting when its really cold
is something to behold.  Other than winter, Chicago
enjoys fantastic green springs, sometimes hot summer,
followed by a glorious fall.

Much better than the semi arid desert of Southern Calif
with its endless cycle of rain and mudslides, followed by
explosive growth, followed by incessant heat where everything
turns brown, then the wildfires start.  Soon follows the
rain with its mudslides again.  I've had enough TV scenes of
wildfires in the canyons of Calif.  Hasn't anyone told
these people about fire resistant roofs instead of using
wood shakes?  How about fire hydrants instead of trucks?

I remember several Californians telling me at SUNI in
Lake Geneva how amazed they were at how green
everything was in June. Some complained about the cold.

To each their own.  Now to me crazy is living in
Wisconsin of Minnesota.  Now that's cold.

Dave Johnson, Aurora, IL  (40 miles west of Chicago)