RE: Performance Tuning the Tiger

To: Theo Smit <TSMIT@isotel.com>,
Subject: RE: Performance Tuning the Tiger
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 06:24:15 -0800
Theo,

I'm surprised no one has questioned your formula. It raises the question of
what is really the definition of compression ratio. Of course, you can't
fool Mother Nature, and with her in mind I would agree that your definition
makes more sense. However, the rest of us like things a little simpler and
I believe the following definition is what is generally used. I quote from
the following source:

http://www.centralpaporsche.org/tech_sch/compress.htm

"Compression Ratio: The ratio is the product of the maximum displacement of
a cylinder (piston at bottom dead center) divided by the minimum
displacement (piston at top dead center). The compression ration is a
comparison of volumes during two different stages during the combustion
cycle. This ratio describes how much the air fuel mixture gets compressed
before ignition. Therefore, the higher the ratio the greater the
compression and the greater the explosion in the cylinder which yields more
power. As a result, high performance engines use very high compression
ratios to extract the maximum power possible. For a street engine the
average ratio today is about 10 or 11 to 1. However, in a race engine, it
is not unusual to use ratios as high as 14 to l. (On a side note, Diesel
Engines use ratios as high as 22 to l because the high compression is what
actually ignites the air/diesel fuel mixture which spontaneously ignites
when compressed enough."

Now, of course, to calculate pressures you need to use the total volume,
not swept volume. Now, do you agree, or is this just too early in the
morning for me to be thinking?

Here's a couple of other interesting links I stumbled on while
"researching" this topic. BTW, it's amazing how much wrong info is out
there too!!

http://www.baylor.edu/~rafdc/compression_ratio.html

http://www.comp.glam.ac.uk/~Minis/miniweb/gasoline.html

Robert L. Palmer