RE: Performance Tuning the Tiger

To: "'Theo Smit'" <TSMIT@isotel.com>,
Subject: RE: Performance Tuning the Tiger
From: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 12:06:47 -0600
Listers,
In the OLD days I used to run a 12.5 :1 small block chevy that never ever
pinged on pump gas. The effective cylinder pressure was 185 lbs. Cranking
with a roller tappet cam, small chamber head that were angle milled 120 - 0
on the exhaust side tapering to the intake side and a flat top 11:1 TRW
short skirt super stock pistons. The engine was FANTASTIC as it just would
not detonate. Which ever way I go to build compression in my Tiger 302 I
will try to avoid a pop-up piston. In the OLD days I ran it with pump gas
and no detonation with a Crane TR 242 with 104 degree lobe centerlines and
242 degrees duration as it was a symmetrical cam.  The only thing that
affected the engine was a poorly curved distributor. As a result that is the
first thing done to any of my performance engines. So I just have a hard
time with anyone under 11.5:1 having detonation problems unless they are
using a cam that also fools the engine by slamming the valve shut early
changing the effective compression ratio to an engine that acts like it has
13:1. The reason for increasing compression is to take advantage of longer
cam timing duration's so that you can leave the valve open longer and still
squish it enough on a naturally aspirated engine to get all of the energy
out of the fuel used. If someone has 10.5:1 with a cam that is intended for
a 9.0:1 engine the engine is likely to have detonation problems unless they
retard the cam and close the intake valve later in the compression stroke
which kind of defeats the profile built into the cam for a given RPM range.
Hey we are back to talking about generating some heat for a change we will
worry about cooling it later!
Regards,
Tim Ronak

My 2 cents again!