Re: tires for stock wheels

To: donscr8@earthlink.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: tires for stock wheels
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 18:05:51 EST
In a message dated 01/29/2000 1:37:36 PM Pacific Standard Time,
donscr8@earthlink.net writes:

<< So the ? is ,what's the largest  size tire i can
 fit on my stock rims? is 205 60 13 ok? >>

Don-
Under no circumstances would I fit a 205 on stock 4.5" rims. You would lose
so much in terms of sidewall roll over and wiggle that, even if it was safe
(which it isn't) it wouldn't be worth the effort.
Probably the best fit would be a 175. To keep rolling diameter correct, I
would think you would have to find a 175/78-80 (or whatever the "normal"
aspect ratio was in the days before "low profile" tires). You might be able
to fit a 185/70, but I don't think it would be optimum, for the same reasons
which the 205 wouldn't work. a 185 would probably hold a bead, but I'm not
sure it would be the best fitment.
There is still a good number of choices in a 185/70 size, with a few very
high traction compound/tread designs available. I think once you look for a
175 series, your choices become very limited and looking to companies like
Coker would be the best bet. Another alternative would be to run vintage
racing Dunlops or Avons, which could be found in the correct 175/80 size, but
are not DOT approved.
The easiest, safest solution would be to fit alloy rims of some type, if you
are going to run the car hard enough to need the bigger tires. The stock
wheels are prone to pulling lug nuts through the rim when worked hard with
sticky tires.
Mike