RE: ball joint & alternator

To: "'Windsor Owens'" <wowens@etec.com>,
Subject: RE: ball joint & alternator
From: Theo Smit <TSMIT@isotel.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 08:51:25 -0700
Windsor,

You can use any alternator you like. Various Listers have used early Ford,
internal-regulator ("one-wire") Ford, GM, what-have-you. I used an
internal-regulator 55 amp Toyota alternator, see
http://members.home.net/tsmit/alternator.html.

Lowest hassle: If you use a Ford alternator you can use CAT's aluminum
bracket. I took some pictures of some alt. conversions at SUNI, see
http://members.home.net/tsmit/suni.html, and some of them used the CAT
bracket. Since you're in CA, you can probably find someone in your area
that's been there, done that.

The main thing to remember if you choose to make your own bracket is to make
it RIGID. An alternator is a heavy chunk to be cantilevering off the front
of the engine, and I've lost count of the number of cracked alternator
mounts and tension adjusters I've seen.

good luck,

Theo