Re: Hardtop Corner Pad

To: "Daniel S. Eiland" <deiland1@elp.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Hardtop Corner Pad
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 17:03:36 +0000
"Daniel S. Eiland" wrote:

> Hi Listers,
>
>     I'm in the process of putting the hardtop back together after having it
> repainted. Got out the corner pads I bought from Rick at SS, and they are
> very high quality but are a little bit different than mine. Hadn't really
> noticed before. It looks like the old pads were cut to fit the corners. Does
> anyone know if that is what I am suppose to do with the new pads?

> Dan Eiland

Dan,

There are two different designs of hard top rear seal. The later models (MkIA
and
up) can be recognized by the small holes on the area below the rear window, and
the extra 2 1/2-in. guide for the bottom rubber between the side guide and the
rear guide.

The corner pads are significantly smaller, as well, and have a triangular piece
of
metal that holds them in with a sheet metal screw.

The sealing rubber is NOT the wide flat kind, but more like your door seals.
They
are a narrow soft rubber with a flat top with lips that fit into the guides. It
is
one piece that goes from door to door, guided by the strips.  No adhesive is
necessary, or should be used.

If you kept the original rubber corners, you can trim the new ones of the old
design available from Sunbeam Specialties to fit.   This requires cutting away
the
excess internal material inside the triangular metal hold-down panel.  Not
difficult, but wish there were an exact replacement.

In my opinion, this seal is much superior to the original flat one, as the top
floats on the rubber, and any top movement does not slide the rubber on the
paint,
but distorts the new seal design.  Much better rain if, as well, due to the
softer
material,  higher degree of compression, allowing conformity with the body
contours.

The older design can be converted to the new design with these two small
channels
pop-riveted to the top, between the existing channels.  Same bent metal channel
design as original side and back strips.

I've tried both styles and greatly prefer the newer design.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/