Re: curiosity

To: E2CFlyr@aol.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: curiosity
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 14:08:16 -0800
Dear E2C,

Just about everyone on the List will have a different answer to this
perennial question, and the answer depends a lot on what you choose to hold
constant. With the Tiger, space is even more of an issue than weight. I
suppose if you were willing to stop an nothing, then you could probably
install a 427 side oiler with OHC heads and it would go like stink - at
least in a (hopefully!) straight line. On the other hand, if you aren't
willing to chop away at the sheet metal, then you can't really even use
BOSS 302 heads, to say nothing of the problem of routing the exhaust
headers. Given that you want to keep the car pristine, then there are two
basic ways to go: more cubes or more revs. Several Tiger owners have
stroked their engines up to 347 cu. in. On the other hand, I've known some
260's that were capable of running in the 8 grand range all afternoon and
kicked some pretty serious butt. The stroker motor probably makes a better
street machine though. Probably the most cost-effective way to go is with a
HO 302 crate motor. You will need to get some of the earlier parts like
timing chain cover and water pump, but it's a pretty straightforward
installation and you can't beat the price to power ratio.

Anybody else want to chime in?

Bob

At 04:31 PM 2/22/00 -0500, E2CFlyr@aol.com wrote:
>I am just wondering if the disadvantage of weight is minimal in comparison
>to the advantage of horsepower gained in a bigger engine.  From a 289 to
>something bigger is a dramatic change in weight isn't it? Or is it common
>to merely change the heads ond keep the block? Thanks for the info ahead
>of time.

Robert L. Palmer
UCSD, Dept. of AMES
619-822-1037 (o)