Re: engine start-up advice

To: "Bob Hokanson" <tgrr2@gte.net>, "Tigers" <tigers@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: engine start-up advice
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 19:41:03 -0800
Bob,

About twenty years ago I put a Crane cam in my motor and noticed that the
warranty was void if I broke it in with synthetic oil. Being a curious
type, I called crane and talked to one of their engineers about the reason
for this warning about synthetic oil. This particular engineer at least
said the whole thing was based on a single incident of someone having their
cam go flat using synthetic oil during the initial break-in. He said the
president issued a directive that henceforth, they wouldn't warranty any
cams that were broken in using synthetic oil. This engineer's opinion was
there was absolutely no reason no to use synthetic oil during the break-in
period. On the other hand, synthetic oil is expensive and the usual advice
is to change the oil almost immediately after the break-in, just to be sure
you don't have any loose stuff left in there that might cause some damage.
Of course, if you do the kind of job you should in cleaning everything
before assembly, then you really shouldn't have to worry about it.

Well, TTFN,

Bob