RE: Tiger Soft Top Cover Question (soft boot or metal?)

To: "'Jonathan Evans'" <jonathan.evans@microcraftcorp.com>,
Subject: RE: Tiger Soft Top Cover Question (soft boot or metal?)
From: Theo Smit <TSMIT@isotel.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 09:13:39 -0700
The Tigers were switched over between the Mk1 and Mk1A, which occurred more
or less in the 1965 model year. The mk1A was not a factory-recognized
separate 'series' but has been adopted by the Tiger community to distinguish
the earlier (serial # B347xxxx) Tigers from the later B38200xxxx Tigers. The
Mk1 and Mk1A both were equipped with the 260 engine, while the 289 was only
found in the mk2 (B382100xxx).

I believe the Alpines switched over between the mk4 and the mk5.

>From trying to get the top underneath one mk1 set of metal covers
(admittedly with little experience in such matters at the time), I can tell
you that unless you fold the top just so, the top doesn't fit under the
covers. Another thing is that it's easy to tangle the three covers while
trying to get everything under there at the same time, which scratches the
paint. However, having learned to fold the top correctly, I don't have that
unsightly boot bulge on my Mk1A anymore, either.

Instructions for folding the top? These are in a supplement to the Tiger
owner's manual, if you should happen to have that. It's not something I
could easily describe in text only.
I use an old sock on the side window frame to keep it from scratching the
plastic rear window.

Regards,
Theo