inquiry 042400a

To: "National Corporation (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: inquiry 042400a
From: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 07:18:51 -0500
        Larry Paulick  wrote:
>Hi Group.  I got my MKI back for the shop for
>exhaust and dyno tuning. Here are the results. (SNIP) Car
>has 1990 5.0 L Mustang motor (tight motor, with 39K miles)
>(SNIP)but with 1:7 roller rockers,(SNIP)stock Mustang
>90-95 with EFI he tunes, pull 175 rear wheel hp. (SNIP)base
>line pull yielded 206 hp (SNIP) the car pulled 236 hp

        Those are interesting #'s, Larry. Actually, I was expecting the
'Stangs to fare better. I wonder if it's those "shorty" headers that they're
forced to use?

>Although the K&N filter helped smooth out the hp curve
>at the upper limits, the tuner said that it was very restrictive,
>since the height of the filter is so small.  A taller filter would help
>it breath, and of course the jets would have to change as well.

        Somewhere in the archives is a post from me asking that question;
good to finally hear the answer -- except that it now means _I_ have a
problem, using the K&N in a stock housing.

>Another Tiger owner with a crate 285 hp motor, Holley 600
>w/vacuum secondaries, T-5  and 3.08 gears, I think, will have his
>exhaust duplicated next week, and the engine dyno tuned.  I will
>really be interested to see what his dyno figures are as they should
>be real strong with that motor.

        Well, the GQ actually made it the whole whopping 34 miles to Owings,
MD, Saturday morning. We had been watching the depressing weather reports
all week, and I was ready to cancel but it's about my last chance to get the
exhaust & dyno work done before the BASH, so I tried not to think about the
raindrops too much.
        When we did get up Saturday, I was surprised to see that the rain
had stopped and the roads were reasonably dry, so I decided to go with the
to down despite skies that looked like they had been undercoated. By the
time I hit the Capitol Beltway, about 1.5 miles from home, I saw the first
couple of drops hit the windshield. I was ready to find an overpass to duck
under to raise the top, but it wasn't really much more than a heavy mist, so
I kept going; Susan following me in her Nissan SE-R, nice and warm and dry
and thinking I'm an idiot.
        The sky looked a bit clearer to the south-east, and that's the way
we were heading, so I grew optimistic. A no-effort cruising speed of 60
seemed about right, so I left it there. Later, Susan tells me I was doing
70mph and occasionally 80mph, so I guess I _do_ need the speedo rebuilt
after all. As I cruised past whatever remains of Marlboro Speedway buried in
the woods, the drizzle stopped and I started to enjoy the ride, despite the
fact that the temperature readout on the bank I had passed said it was 47
degrees.
        With 10-15 miles to go, the rain came back, and it was more than a
drizzle this time. I watched for a place to pull over, but by this time we
were in rural MD with few businesses and no overpasses. However, no rain was
coming in to the passenger compartment, so I slowed approaching the few
traffic lights to prevent having to come to a stop, and hoped for the best.
In a few minutes the rain stopped again; I must have been driving along the
edge of the front.
        Finding Jeff's Mufflers and Dynojet Tuning was easy enough, although
I overshot their entrance by a few feet and had to double back. Jeff put the
GQ inside and up on a lift immediately, and went over the entire job with
me, weld by weld. I was comfortable with his answers, and trust the job will
turn out fine. He certainly was pleased with the way Larry P's system turned
out, especially the sound his Tiger has now.
        So I handed over the keys and was on my way; treated Susan to a
buffet breakfast at the Rod 'n Reel overlooking the Chesapeake Bay for
getting up so early on a weekend. I'm told I should get the car back in a
week. Whether I'll see the 285HP that Ford rates that engine at remains to
be seen -- I thing the # is optimistic -- but I'm sure I'll see a big
improvement; I don't think the engine was ever adequately tuned.

        Lawrence R. Wright
        "I can't get no-- Satis-Traction"