Re: Air Cleaners

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Air Cleaners
From: TIGEROOTES@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 19:54:12 EDT
    Many years ago I had the same idea and I tried it on my 67 Sunbeam Minx.
Chrysler cheapened the Series 6 by eliminating the footwell fresh air vents,
and it seemed simple enough to install the same 4" tube and run it directly
from the existing grill mounting point to the twin carburettors for
"ram-air".  The car was powered by a 1494cc Sunbeam Rapier engine...not
really a deep breather.
    The installation went well, and I thought I was going to find some real
horsepower, until I started it: I fouled out the sparkplugs in no time at
all.  Apparently, the corrugated flex tubing has quite a bit of resistance,
and this made the fuel/air mixture go very rich when sitting still idling.
Jim Leach   PTC  Seattle