Re: Air Cleaners

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Air Cleaners
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@home.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 22:10:26 -0600
Hi all (all of you that haven't abandoned this discussion)

I was reading the K&N website info some more and they mention that they
compute the rated flow capability of their filters based on 1.5" H2O
pressure drop. What does that mean in the big scheme of things? If you
run the filter at double the rated flow (like Larry), you will get four
times the pressure drop - six inches of water. That is equivalent to
less than half an inch of mercury, which is about the difference between
a cool spring morning and a hot afternoon with a thunderstorm brewing.

The bottom line is, the air filter element itself ain't making 20
horsepower difference. What would be interesting is to run the engine on
a dyno, with only the air cleaner housing in place - top and bottom
(using some kind of spacer), no element, and compare that to the same
thing with the element. I think the lion's share of the loss will be due
to the proximity of the air cleaner top to the carb throat.

Regards,
Theo