Air Cleaners

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Air Cleaners
From: "lcbohrer" <lcbohrer@uswest.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 21:18:11 -0700
Craig & Theo,

Air cleaners do make a difference.  Try a test I did 25 years ago.  Find =
a level, deserted road and determine the time for the car to accelerate =
from 2,000 to 5,000 RPM in second gear.  Start at about 1,500 RPM and =
put your foot down smoothly but rapidly.  The idea is to avoid surges in =
the engine, gear train or interactions.  Run a few trials to get an =
average.  Now remove the air cleaner top and element and repeat.  My =
times went from 5.5 to 5.0 seconds with the car in that state of tune, =
gears, etc.  I was instantly convinced of the need to lower air intake =
pressure loss.  Suspect the current system was only the best and most =
convenient available to Rootes at the time and wasn't engineered to =
mimimize horsepower loss.

Craig mentions 100 HP loss from engine to chassis dyno.  Don't know the =
chassis dyno set up, but if the hood was closed, don't neglect the inlet =
air temperature.  If the carb ingests air through the radiator at, say =
the 180 degree temperature of your thermostat, versus 80 degree air from =
outside, the difference is about a 20% horsepower loss!  For Craig's 440 =
HP monster that would be about 44 of those 100 HP lost.  The air density =
is the difference.  It's equivalent to about 2 jets sizes richer on your =
Holley 4-barrel.  Second conclusion, cold air is good!  Nothing new =
here.

Bud