Re: Dash pad & Windshield Alignment

To: "Daniel S. Eiland" <deiland1@elp.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Dash pad & Windshield Alignment
From: Larry Paulick <larry.p@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 09:43:23 -0400
Dan, I will look for the dash pad article, as both of need this info.
Again, Doug Jennings said that the windshields tend to be a little
higher than the side quarter windows, and with the padding/foam material
under the dash, this would make sense.

Also I agree that keeping the vinyl material under the dash is a good
idea, even if it is glued, since heat in this area would curl it up.
Also suggested is to only put thin layer of sealing material under the
gasket between the windshield and body.  Local glass shop said not to
use silicone.

Also the ends of my pad are out about 1/4" from the dash, measured on
the vertical.  The rest of the dash is centered just fine, but the
contour of the dash and new pad do not match.

Anyone have suggestions?

I still have not heard for anyone on the sequence of putting the
Windshield, windows, and hard top on.

Not hearing from anyone, I will install windows, windshield, align the
windshield with the measurement to the rear portion of the door, and
then align the windows to the windshield.  The hard top comes next, with
the horizontal gap at the window meeting the hard top seal.

Boy, this seems like a lot of adjustments, but not hearing from someone
else's experience, this will be the sequence.

I am constantly asked, when will you finish the car?  Items like this
tend to slow the progress down, just a bit.  Progress is at my own pace,
as I am enjoying the resto, and the challenges.

Larry