Re: Jag Rearend?

To: Craig Wright <craig@productdesigngroup.com>
Subject: Re: Jag Rearend?
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 18:02:38 -0700
At 09:24 AM 6/14/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Tom,
>
>Dana 44 refers to the gear set design. The Jag rear ends were made by
>Salisbury
>and used Dana 44 gears. They are independent suspension rear ends. I believe
>that the first Jag Dana 44 axle was in the 1961 XKE, although it might
>have been
>used in the XK-150. They continued to use that gear set exclusively until the
>mid eighties. The same gear set is used in many American cars including, Ford
>trucks, chevy, and Chrysler trucks as well as 65-75 Jeep C and 67-83 Jeep
>Wagoneer.
>
>If you are looking for gears, I'd buy them new as used ones have an unknown
>history and will most likely make noise. The are $150-$200 per set. If you are
>looking for an axle to bolt in, I can't help you, sorry.
>
>Craig Wright

         They also came in the Jag sedans of that era  (50+) in the live
axle design. the MkII's sedans had the 4 gear positraction carrier, similar
to the US Dana.  The axle widths are different, but other components are
essentially interchangeable.  The differences you find with the Dana 44
designs between various auto manufacturers typically relate to the axle
retention methods and the spline counts.  They also rotate the brake mount
bolt pattern on the ends of the housing, but the base bolt design is
usually the same.

Tom