Re: paint advice needed

To: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: paint advice needed
From: "Brian Moss" <BLMoss@Prodigy.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 23:31:21 -0400
Tom,

I'll second Chris' nomination of Eastwood's Coroless.  I've spoken to a
couple of restorers in my area that have had good experience with it.  It is
easier to work with than POR 15, in that it acts (for most purposes) like a
primer.  Painting over it is no problem with enamels, epoxies, and some
urethanes (don't know which as I'm using enamel).  Other urethanes and all
lacquers are right out.  They recommend scuff sanding for max topcoat
adhesion, especially if more than 36 hours have passed since applying the
Coroless.

It is apparently a very effective rust inhibitor, and goes on right over
over scale (arresting it's progress).  Eastwood advertises it as being used
on deep sea oil rigs to prevent corrosion.  One of the restorers I spoke
with preps frames with a pressure wash and a quick once over with a wire
brush to knock off the loose stuff -- that's it.

I just primed the undercarriage, wheelwells, interior, trunk, and engine
compartment of my car with it.  I'll let you know how it turns out in about
15 years ;-).

Brian