Re: New engine

To: modtiger@engravers.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New engine
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 20:23:20 EDT
In a message dated 08/07/2000 4:10:43 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
modtiger@engravers.com writes:

<< There are two features on the late (86+) 5.0 small block which are
 important to some owners.  >>

I'm not sure if anyone has pointed out that the '86-on roller cam H.O. block
also has more beef in the deck and cylinder wall locations. The '79-85 blocks
were very light weight/duty. Many also like to build up the "Hecho en Mexico"
302 block as it has the heavier duty, 289 hipo type main bearing caps.
As far as the swap goes, both Tom and I have installed late model 302's in
our Tigers. There are engine imbalance (early 28oz. vs. 1981-on 50oz.),
bellhousing, front engine dress, and clutch throw out issues.
You can pick up a billet flywheel from FRRP for about $200 which has the
right, 50oz. specs. The dampeners are now available with the early bolt
pattern/later imbalance specs from TCI and FRRP.
Bellhousing choices are also out there, either a dual pattern (wide and
narrow ear toploader)  aluminum six bolt or a modified, single pattern
aluminum would work.
I chose to retain my 260's front dress, with minimal hassles. I understand
the later serpentine set-up will fit.
Clutch throwout requires either a custom slave cylinder bracket (check with
CAT) or a hydraulic throw out bearing (McCleod, Tilton). One thing I don't
like about most of the fabbed slave brackets is that they don't have
reinforcing ribs and will flex unacceptably with a medium/heavy duty pressure
plate. Tom has the cleanest, trickest set-up, with the hydraulic throw
out...awesome feel, light effort.
Mike