Re: A-Arm Bushings and Ball Joints

To: Theo Smit <theo.smit@intel.com>
Subject: Re: A-Arm Bushings and Ball Joints
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 14:32:27 -0700
Theo,

Your memo on front end parts is very good.  I would strongly
recommend everybody read Tom Hall's article posted on
http://www.TigersUnited.com, as well as STOA's site.

I used to have a new e-mail, lost in a recent system crash.
In my foggy memory I recall the writer saying he had
everything "knocked" in the front-end department, and didn't
have to worry about zerk fittings to lubricate the bushings
because he had found some (or was going to build) STAINLESS
STEEL fulcrum pins.

Theo, your note about the chrome-moly 4130 lower fulcrum's of
Doug Jennings makes me hope that is what he meant to say. (but
he'd still be wrong)

For all it's marvelous corrosion resistant properties,
Stainless Steel is is NOT the material to use for fulcrum
pins, or any other severely stressed component.  The stainless
can not be made anywhere near the strength of the 4130, or
other high strength steel.  This is what is important in this
application.  In addition, the grease in that joint is to
lubricate the bushing to allow smooth, low friction with
relative motion, not prevent corrosion.  It would be needed
even if stainless were acceptable.

Theo, I know you already know all this. This letter is only
addressed to you, and the list, in the hope that the original
sender will read this thread and respond, if he has any
doubts.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/