RE: Miss Fire

To: <cvaught@hawaii.rr.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Miss Fire
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 10:05:07 -0700
Chris,

It helps in diagnosing problems to consider what was changed that correlates
with the problem. You appear to have changed several things at once, which
makes this harder to diagnose. Here are the possibilities I consider likely:
        1. The spark plugs: I never used split fire plugs and probably never
will
just because they seem to be a "gimmick". If the gap is too  big, any plug
will miss at high rpm. Check the gap and set it to 0.035". This is rather
conservative; I run 0.055", but have an MSD. Even if the gap is OK, I'd try
putting in another set of plugs - yes I know this is a pain in the rear.
        2. The coil: Not putting out full voltage for some reason. Is it
designed
to work at 9V (with ballast) or 12V (no ballast)? Try replacing it with
another coil.
        3. How do you have the tach hooked up? Is there any chance this is
interfering with the timing? The fact that it is bouncing means either the
timing signal out of the Unilite is faulty, or the tach is interfering. It
is possible there is coupling with the high voltage side of the coil that is
getting back to the tach and causing it to misbehave. If suggestions 1 & 2
don't help, try removing the tach from the circuit.
        4. Try the other suggestions from the List too, like looking for arcing
in
the dark, etc.

Good luck,

Bob