Re: Offset Drive Shaft

To: "Tiger News Group" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Offset Drive Shaft
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 21:32:54 -0800
At 11:07 PM 12/3/00 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 12/03/2000 11:29:23 AM Pacific Standard Time,
>W_Pierzga@EMAIL.MSN.COM writes:
>
><< The consequence is that the drive shaft is
>  VERY, VERY close to the rear of the tunnel on the passenger side (about 1/2
>  to 3/4 inch gap when you drop a line from the rear edge of the tunnel). >>
>
>This is really common on Tigers, I'm not sure what to attribute it to...as a
>matter of fact, I had enough offset that I did hit the tunnel/passenger side
>when autocrossing one weekend. It has nothing to do with motor mounts being
>incorrect, leaf spring alignment etc.
>Either "relieve" the tunnel with some "persuasion" or loosen everything from
>the motor mounts back and try to minimize the angle when re-tightening (a pry
>bar wedged between the trans and the tunnel works).
>Mike

There are two basic designs with regard to the rear axle.  Either the axles
are equal length, as are those of a Tiger, or they are unequal (Ford
9").  If the axles are equal length, the pinion is almost always offset
from the centerline of the housing.  This offset is a function of the
differential carrier, the ring gear and the pinion.

In an unequal axle design, the different lengths allow the pinion to be
positioned in the centerline of the assembly and the natural offset of the
internal hardware is corrected by the unequal axles.  The offset you
observe in a Tiger is perfectly normal but you should not have contact
between the drive shaft and the tunnel.  If you find scrape marks due to
movement an inspection of the frame and components should be
undertaken.  The most likely culprit are adjustment of the Panard bar or
failure of the mounting structure ( a very very common failure) or the
rubber isolators (bushings).  Rick has bars and bushing items at SS.  If
the mount is broken or breaking, you have some repair work to take care of.

Tom