Re: RE; Panhard Rod (more ?)

To: Tom Witt <wittsend@jps.net>
Subject: Re: RE; Panhard Rod (more ?)
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 12:45:12 -0800
Tom,

While,  unfortunately, I do not have a Mk II sitting in my drive, I believe
that the Panhard rod is identical to the Mk I/IA, with threads and bushings on
both ends, but the chassis and axle mountings are on opposite sides.  The frame
mounting is on the left side of the car, and the axle mounting is on the right
side of the differential.  These are essentially parallel to the axle, and
above it. The Mk II is supposed to be the "correct" way, although I do not
really understand why this should be. Maybe Tom Hall has that answer.

The frame mount is not very well constructed, and either fatigues or rust out.
It needs extra bracing support, in any of the cars.  I believe the purpose of
that rod is to keep the axle from shifting sideways, as I can't see any
resistance to rotation, as a Traction Master would provide.

Dan Walters (909-792-3568, San Bernadino, CA) has an axle locator design he
sells that clamps to the axle side tubes and runs two arms to near the front
U-Joint area.  Most users are delighted with it's performance for axle control,
but it is a "newer" design and not "original equipment", if this is of concern
to you.  Seeing as how you are considering large modifications of non-stock
design, it might be worth looking into his offering.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most    >
B9472289              < important in your life     >

http://www.TigersUnited.com/gallery/SteveLaifman.asp

                            _/
                     _/_/_/