Re: RE; Panhard Rod (more ?)

To: MWood24020@aol.com
Subject: Re: RE; Panhard Rod (more ?)
From: "Chris J. Richards" <richards@northcoast.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 23:39:20 -0500
I would guess that the panhard bar helps for sway of the body on turns.  Also,
the typical axle tramp without traction bars jumps to one side, ie....tire burns
on the pavement that jump to the left,  pound-skid, pound-peel, pound
skid....etc.  It would help to keep the axle housing from moving to the side.
The rotation of the driveshaft/and the loading during heavy acceleration pushes
the housing to the side....the Mk 2 change was probably to help hold against the
throw of the the spin to the axles from the monstrous 164 hp 260V8(from the
opposite side which is more proper)....Just my theory.  I believe it to work
pretty much the same on the early and late versions....The real fix for rear
differential stability in Tigers was/is the set-up I saw in the Barker car at
United Eureka.  And the Silverman (sp?) car.

Chris in Trinidad