Re: fuel pump

To: "William T. Daniel II" <drbill@2geton.net>
Subject: Re: fuel pump
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 09:11:43 -0800
"William T. Daniel II" wrote:

> I have almost completed a 10 year restoration of my 66 M1a Tiger. Ready to
> start the engine, but no fuel in the filter.  The problem is my new SU Fuel
> pump wont Pump. I got it about 5 years ago and left it in the box. It has a
> good ground and power from the battery. There is no movement of the
> solenoid. My Restoration is as close as possible to original, therefore I
> want to keep the original pump. Any suggestions as to the cause? any help is
> appreciated.         Thanks, Bill Daniel

Bill,

If it's not "clicking", its not working.  Should rattle like a machine gun when
it's dry. I've had these pumps since 1951 cars and can offer you a few things
that I have tried that seem to help.

1) Remove plastic cap and place clean business card between points. Pulling it
out, with slight pressure on the closed points might just remove an oxidized
film that prevents current flow.

2) Obtain genuine British Bumpershoot (Umbrella). With clear access to the
pump, give it a sound whack on the body. Don't break the plastic cap.  This is
quite effective on recalcitrant SU fuel pumps and English school boys.

 I performed just such an act on my MG-TD firewall mounted SU in 1952.  The
pimp stopped, and the car ran out of gas in the high speed lane of the
Hollywood Freeway during rush hour traffic.  I jumped out of the car, dodging
passing cars, and threw open the hinged bonnet and thwacked the pump with a
smart rap with the Bumpershoot.  Never used it for rain in California, as it
rarely does (except for today).  It started rattling away and I got out of
there.  Didn't feel like asking the guy stalled behind me whether he had a
business card.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most    >
B9472289              < important in your life     >

http://www.TigersUnited.com/gallery/SteveLaifman.asp

                            _/
                     _/_/_/