When to Shift

To: "Tiger's Den" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: When to Shift
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 09:08:01 -0800
Hi Guys,

Hope this gets through, as I have been off the main list, and on the
digest, since my ISP went flaky. Getting a cable modem and new address
this week, when I will "re-up" at high speed.

Meanwhile, getting quite a kick out of the "when to shift" thread. With
the new "G" meters, and even the old "Tapley acceleration instruments"
from the old Road & Track test days, the one I like the best is the MOB
meter (sometimes known as SOP meter).

The MOB meter is portable, uses no batteries, is perfectly calibrated,
and always accurate - if you know how to read it.  By using the change
in relative indications between varying shift rpm's, and choosing the
indication that provides a higher indication on a shift, than the
previous gear indication, will guarantee finding the best shift point
for your car, your engine, your transmission, your tires, and your rear
axle.

When the indicated acceleration is greater in the next gear, than the
one you just left, you are winning.  when it is lower, you are loosing.
Easy.

Where can I get the MOB (SOP) meter?

Well, some are better calibrated and more sensitive than others, and
some drivers are quicker and finding the correct measurement
difference.  The MOB is "Middle Of  Back", and the SOP is "Seat Of
Pants".

Very inexpensive, and portable too.  Calibration services are available.
Batteries not included.

{9->

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most    >
B9472289              < important in your life     >

http://www.TigersUnited.com/gallery/SteveLaifman.asp

                            _/
                     _/_/_/