Vacuuming My Tiger

Subject: Vacuuming My Tiger
From: SJC Worldwide <rootes@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 15:02:13 -0800
I'm going to check my timing in the next couple of days (in the search
for my cruising speed "hesitation") but I also just had an idea whilst
messing around and curing a coolant leak.

When I got my car back from two months at the paint shop the brake
master cyl. was leaking and was replaced with the smaller diameter
master from CAT. Not having been used for two months (I assume this may
have contributed to the problem),  the brake booster started locking up
and only serious pounding on the pedal would briefly release it until
the next stop. I installed a brake booster bypass hose and the brakes
work fine now without the booster. However, a couple of listers have
suggested a vacuum leak could be causing my cruising hesitation. Now
that the brake booster is no longer connected to the brake system, the
vacuum hose from the back of the manifold to the booster still is,
pending my removing the booster next week for either a rebuild or a
place on the shelf in my new garage. Could this possibly have anything
to do with a vacuum leak, especially since the innards of the booster
aren't functioning as they should?

I guess if this, or the timing, doesn't cure the problem, the next step
to try is to increase the primary jets a couple of sizes

Steve Sage
1967 MK1A