Blown oil lines--my 2 cents

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Blown oil lines--my 2 cents
From: geewhiz <geewhiz@inreach.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 20:52:49 -0800
I don't know why you guys with the remote filters spend so much time, money, and
effort on oil lines for the remote filter.  Just because it's original equipment
doesn't mean it's a good design or that you have to live with it and keep
feeding it when it breaks, and risk blowing up a perfectly expensive
engine...Or, even lose your life when the lines blow at 70 MPH on the freeway.

The first time I changed the oil on my Tiger was the last time for the remote
filter.  It leaked.  Off it came.  The Ford dealer sells the screw adapter for
the block, and Pep Boys has the short filter.  I think it was a Purolator 10???
Can't remember the number, and I sold the car...I'm sure someone on the list has
the number.

Anyhow, unless your car is concours correct and you show it a lot, it makes no
sense to put up with the hassles and danger of failure associated with the
remote filter.  Granted, the small filter holds half the oil, but do you really
drive your Tiger so much that you can't change the oil and filter every 3000
miles or so?  Modern oils and fuels are much cleaner than those from the 60's,
and it is very unlikely that you will ever need the full size filter, especially
on a car that is pleasure driven.

Well, my 2 cents.

Gerard
Former Tiger owner
---
Pic of old Tiger at bottom of this page:
http://www.bob2000.com/4277.htm

I delete old emails.  Be sure to quote our previous correspondence!