Re: Electric Fan Wiring

To: Mark Meswarb <meswarb@hotmail.com>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Electric Fan Wiring
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@home.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 14:09:39 -0700
I'll make a correction to what I said (or at least, amend it)... As others have
said, the thermoswitch may not like switching high currents for very long. You
can
reduce that problem by using the thermoswitch in the low-current circuit, but
you
end up running a little more wire around the car. I guess the other advantage is
that it energizes the relay only when the fan turns on instead of continuously.
If you're worried about the thermoswitch failing, then wire a toggle switch in
parallel with the thermoswitch so that you can bypass it if necessary. Add an
indicator lamp to the fan side of the relay to indicate when it's on. If you
put it
on the switch side, it doesn't tell you anything about the condition of the
relay...

Good luck,
Theo